Halstead MCC hosted round two of the Bickers Lifting sponsored Eastern Centre motocross championships on Sunday, at their Wakes Colne circuit, watched by a good sized crowd in dull ,but dry conditions. Credit must go to the club, who had battled all week against wet weather to ensure that the course was rideable, with local ace, Jason Morland, spending many hours preparing the groundwork.

Race one of the premier class saw Jake Nicholls and Elliott Banks- Browne battling at the front of the pack with the lead changing several times. After fifteen minutes, Nicholls raced clear to take the win
forty seconds clear of his East Anglian rival. Lewis Tombs was involved in a three way battle for third place with Luke Parker and the Northern visitor, Nathan Dixon, but eventually brought his MX2 bike home in third place, followed by Parker and Shaun Southgate, who just got the better of Dixon on the penultimate lap.

Banks-Browne took his Geartec Husqvarna to the front in race two, with Nicholls just behind him, and for a few laps, the pair played cat and mouse with each other, putting on a great display of high speed racing for the crowd. At half distance though, Banks-Browne cruised back to the paddock with a bike problem, leaving Nicholls clear to claim another 25 championship points. Tombs and Dixon fought hard for second place for the whole of the twenty minute long race, with Tombs getting the verdict. Parker was fourth from Southgate, and behind them, teenagers, George Grigg Pettitt and Ben Clark had an enjoyable battle for 6th and 7th places.

Nicholls easily won race three, and after two rounds, the Buildbase Honda ace has now won all six races so far. Halstead club rider, Lewis Tombs rode well again for second place, and leads the MX2 class in the series. Southgate had his best ride of the day to claim third from Dixon,with Declan Whittle and Parker rounded out the top six.

Following timed practise, the fastest forty junior grade riders contested round two of the Eastern Junior championships, and close racing in all three moto's followed. Series leader from the first round at Blaxhall, Ryan Watts, was in fine form again, and was soon leading the pack after passing the early race leader, Matt French. Five riders were involved in the scrap for second place with Alex Hornsby holding off Jordan Pasquale, French and Bill Moynes, but all eyes were watching Danny Budd on his little 125 cc two stroke Husky. Budd picked off his opponents one by one to finish the fifteen minute long race in second place. Pasquale was third at the end of a hectic race from Moynes, French and Hornsby.

Race two was stopped after the first lap when local rider Ashly Campbell fell heavily on the final jump of the first lap. Pasquale led the rerun, but Watts was soon in control again to claim his second win. Pasquale held off a charging Danny Budd for second place, with Hornsby, Moynes and Shane Lock completing the top six.

Hornsby took the HRM Boilers holeshot award in race three, but Pasquale took over on lap two to hold off Watts to take the win. Budd completed a good day for third place, with Moynes getting the better of Hornsby to finish fourth.
The supporting A group saw Luke Nolan taking the overall with two wins and a third place. Halstead's Mark Relland rode well for second overall from enduro rider James Barker, who had won the first moto.

Local rider, Vince Pryke won the first B group support race, and was second in race two, but a lowly 13th place in the third race saw him finish third overall. Lee Scott was the overall victor with a second and two third places from Jake Robertson who was runner up overall.

Round three of this popular series will be on May 13th at the tough Lyng circuit in Norfolk.

Click the link below for full results. 

Photos by Sophie Brinkley (click on an image to enlarge)