A decent sized crowd saw plenty of thrills and spills at round five of the Proclean sponsored British sidecarcross championships at Wakes Colne,in Essex on Sunday, hosted by the Halstead club. The iconic circuit was in prime condition for racing, held in fine sunny conditions.

Race one saw George Kinge/Lewis Gray leading for a couple of laps until Jake Brown/Joe Millard took over at the front, chased by fifteen times British champion, Stuart Brown/Josh Chamberlain. Brown/Chamberlain stormed into the lead on lap six of the 25 minute long race, but with just two laps remaining, his son Jake, managed to retake the lead and held on for the win. Kinge/Gray were a comfortable third, with Dan Foden/Roy Bijenhof and Michael Hodges/Paul Horton fighting over fourth place. Brown/Chamberlain were then deducted five places for a start line infringement, and were credited with 7th place by race control.

With the 2018 champions, Brett Wilkinson/Ryan Humphrey only spectating, due to injury, they witnessed Brown/Chamberlain dominating race two, leading from the start, and winning with ease. Jake Brown/Millard held second place throughout with Kinge/Gray again third. Irishman, Gary Moulds, with his Australian passenger, Brian Anthony, led race three for a couple of laps before Kinge/Gray squeezed past, but Brown/Chamberlain were in great form again, moving from fourth on lap one to lead the pack on lap four, and such was their pace, they lapped all but the first five outfits by the end of a tough race.

The younger Brown took over second place on lap seven, which was enough for him to take overall victory, his first in his career. Brown senior, with his passenger, Josh Chamberlain, are still leading the series, and with one round remaining, looks on course to win their 16th British title. Meanwhile, they travel to Switzerland next for a World championship round, where they hope to improve on their fifth place in the standings.

The supporting three groups of solo races saw each group cut to two races only,as there was a lengthy delay following a hold up due to a racing incident. Ipswich teenager, Ryan Allison,won both group A races after battling with Harry Clark and Todd Ritchie. Allison's sixteen year old sister, Bethany, battled well in the B group, and took third place behind Josh Fullalove and Joe Phillips in the first leg. Race two saw Bethany and Fullalove crashing whilst disputing the lead, but both recovered well to claim second and third behind young Joe Phillips, before the race was stopped due to a fallen rider. Phillips, the grandson of the late Ipswich football legend, Ted Phillips, was the overall winner on the day.

In the C group of allcomers, Lee Scott took the win in the first race after a hectic battle with Gareth Robertson, and Robertson led race two for five laps until he was beaten by Harry Peck with two laps remaining. However, his two second places were enough to take overall victory.

Click the link below for full results