My Image
What is motocross?

Motocross is a high profile, glamorous and high octane sport enjoyed by thousands of competitors throughout the year predominantly from March to October. ACU Motocross events take place on purpose built off-road tracks with spectacular jumps and fast corners.
Once you have your bike and all your kit, the next step is to think about how to get into racing and enjoying the excitement of going racing with your mates.

What is the ACU?

The ACU is the governing body for Motorcycle Sport in the UK, less Northern Ireland. With up to 75 active Motocross clubs across the country running around 500 motocross events a year, ranging from local club races to national championship event.

Do I need a licence to race Motocross?

To race motocross events with the ACU, you will need to hold a valid ACU Motocross licence of which there are two kinds.

  • One Event Licence - this licence gives the all the same benefits of a full ACU race licence, but just for one event. A One Event Licence is perfect for people that are new to the sport and a bargain at just £15
  • Full Annual Motocross Licence – once you have done one or more events and feel ready to take out an Annual Licence at £48 for the year. (Licences run from January to December)

What should I do first?

Unlike some sports, most clubs don’t lend you a bike and all the kit that you need, you’ll have to buy your own.
The ACU does have a number of Projects and Commercial Instructors who can provide you with the Bike and Riding Kit for a fee. Projects and Commercial Instructors will be able to o er some proper tuition while on track. Details can be found at
Once you have done a few of these, and then you will be in a good position to buy a bike and all the kit required to go racing.

Finding where to ride and with which club

Once you have decided to go racing you will need to think about joining a club and where you would like to race.
Most clubs have access to certain race track, therefore if you have a track that you would like to ride. It is worth nding out which clubs run there.
Once you have found out about a Club that you want to join, make the required enquiries as to how to take out a Club Membership.
Check out our Clubs Page for details of clubs in the ACU Eastern region.
Find a forthcoming event near you in our Events Calendar on the Homepage of this website.

How to take out an ACU licence

Before you take out an ACU Licence you will need to Join an ACU Club and become a member. Once you have become a member you will be given a Unique Club Membership Code to use on your application form.
There are two different methods for taking out an annual ACU Motocross Licence either Online or by Post.
To complete the ACU Motocross licence by Post you can contact the ACU o ce direct on 01788 566400 and ask for a form to be posted out to you, or by downloading the Motocross Form from and ll in the required section and return it to the ACU Licence Department.
To Apply for a licence Online, you will need to go to and register as a New Member and complete the application form online.
When taking out an ACU Licence remember that there is no need to do a medical or eyesight report.

How to enter an event

The Club(s) that you have joined will normally inform you of events that they will be staging and supply you with details of how to enter the event.
The ACU also compiles a list of events for Motocross Clubs on the ACU website, containing contact details for the clubs running each event. This list can be found at http://
Some events are available for Online Event Entry using the same website used to apply for your Racing Licence.

What Do I Do When Arriving at an Event?

When arriving at a racing event, please ensure that you arrive with plenty of time before the start of the event. Before starting the event you must report to the Race Office and Sign On, at this point you will need to show your ACU Licence to the Club Official or purchase a Day Licence.
Once you have Signed On you will need to take your Bike and Helmet to Technical Control to be checked.
Before the event starts, take the time to study the event timetable so that you know which session you are in. Also go and check out the track so that you know which direction the track goes and the types of jumps you will be facing.
Once the event has started, be sure to adhere to flag signals and respect the club official (remember most for these officials are volunteers that give up their time so you can race) and most of all have FUN, as we all know that Motocross is an enjoyable sport.

Is there a class for me?

If you are aged from 6 years old and above and ride a motocross bike from a 50cc all the way up to a 500cc then there is a class for you, no matter whether you are male or female.
Schoolboy racing sees riders grouped together depending on their age ie, 6–8 years for 50cc Autos, 7–10 years for 65cc, 9–12 years for 85cc Small Wheels, 11–15 years for 85cc Big Wheels, 13–17 years for the 125cc 2-stroke only class, and 14–17 years for the 125cc 2-stroke/250cc 4 stroke classes.
Adult licences start from 15 years of age on bike from a 125cc two stroke upwards.
Most adult clubs will group riders according to their ability rather than age or bike, although some clubs will run Over 40’s classes etc or EVO bike classes.
With all Adult riders starting o as Junior graded riders before progressing to Expert Status, allowing you to compete in higher grade of events in the future.

What other forms of Motocross Racing are there?

Other forms of Motocross racing comes in the form of Quad and Sidecar Racing. Quad Cross is accessible from the age of 7 years old in Youth Quad events with classes for all ages up to the Adult class.
Sidecar Cross is a three wheeled form of Motocross where rider and passenger race together as a team. You can starting racing Sidecars from 15 years old.
Mini Bike racing is a smaller version of Motocross and is accessible from 6 years old in the Youth Mini Bike class and all the way up to Adult classes.
For full details of ages and classes for all forms of Motocross please refer to the ACU Website or Handbook.

Other things to think about

What racing gear do I need to have to go racing?
To go racing at an ACU event you will need to have an ACU Approved Motocross Helmet to the minimum standard. When buying a Helmet it is allows advised to buy the highest quality for your own budget and ensure that the fitment is correct. Motocross Boots are also another must have item of protective wear. You we also require a set of Motocross kit, remember is you are just starting out; there are a lot of bargains to be had on older kits from dealers and the internet. Other items such as kidney belts, body armour, knee braces and neck braces are all down to each individual rider.
How long can a Motocross race last?
Motocross races generally last between 10 and 30 minutes, depending on the level of the event, ranging from youth events to professional races.
Other things to think about packing in the Van
Other items to pack in your vehicle when going racing include a paddock mat and fire extinguisher.